Monday, December 30, 2013

What I've learned in Tennessee (so far)

Good day, everyone. As you may or may not be aware, I graduated from Winston-Salem State University with a degree in English back in May of this year.

It's like a resume I can wear, yo. 
Though it didn't register immediately, the moment I strolled across that stage I OFFICIALLY became adult as hell. The following days were filled with the expected revelry and celebration; but after that died down, I was faced with the sobering realization that I couldn't chill at my mother's house for much longer if I expected to move forward. I considered my next move carefully and eventually decided to take up residence with my uncle in Tennessee for a while; having spent my whole life in North Carolina, I felt a change of scenery was in order (also he said I could stay rent-free so....yeah lol). Long story short, I came to Chattanooga in September and have since gotten a job and pretty much settled myself in.

Being in Tennessee has been...different, to say the least. Having attended an HBCU for the past 4 years, I had gotten pretty used to being surrounded by black people; so imagine my reaction when I left NC and went from this:


To this: 



That's right. Out here I'm not only around a much greater number of Caucasians...but they're all pretty old too. I told my mom and she suggested I try to find the NAACP chapter around here so I can find some people to hang with (hahaa). I'll admit, it's been quite hard finding people to hang with so far; pretty much everyone I've encountered so far has been old. But being here and away from home, I've learned a few things these past few months.

First of all, I've experienced the feeling of being off work and able to actively pursue your life until the next time you go back; this may be the best thing about graduating from college. While I was in school, I didn't realize how much work I really did. Not only did I have my classes, but I was actively involved in several organizations on campus. When I wasn't busy with extracurricular shid, I was doing homework, studying, or something of the sort. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised the first day I clocked out at work and realized that.....I literally had no other responsibilities that day. There's something invigorating about knowing that you are in complete control of your own life; I could literally buy a plane ticket and fly to Spain if I wanted, so long as I was back to work when my shift rolled around. I realized that outside of my time on the job, I owed no explanation to anyone for anything. 

Speaking of work, I spent my first month in Tennessee in Nashville training for my job. For those of you who do not know, Nashville is known for being a mecca for country music lovers. Perhaps I was there a bit too long, but I found myself developing an appreciation for country music, particularly this number by a band I'd never heard of before called Montgomery Gentry. That song and others I heard like it made me begin to understand Cowboy Troy. 

I like this joint too, I can't lie. 
Like rap, country music is all about telling a story. Some songs are sad, while others are about partying and having a good time; and if there's anything I'm down for, it's partying and having a good time. So I rocks with it. 

Lastly, being here has given me a chance to really capitalize on my Greek affiliation. While in Nashville, I visited both TSU and Fisk University and sought out my Sigma bros to show me around town and fill me in on what they did for fun around there; in this I was successful. I've even gotten up with the alumni chapter here in Chattanooga....but turns out they're all old, too. 

You know you settin up these tables, right? 
But I've got a good number of months left here so I'm just enjoying the ride. 

-Nick G. 



No comments:

Post a Comment