Friday, July 6, 2012

Mac & Devin go to High School: The Review





(if you would like to see it before I spoil anything, you can watch it on Youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmMm7EaAXs )


Mac & Devin Go To High School....wow. Ok, let me start by saying I had every intention of enjoying this movie before it watched it, really I did. But by the end of it I was left with a strange feeling of sadness and agitation. This may be one of the laziest, most rushed, and poorly executed stoner films I've ever seen in my life. Stay with me, you all.

I knew this movie was going to disappoint me--my face literally fell--when it opened with a CGI blunt (voiced by Mystikal) screaming at me to roll up or I would not understand/appreciate the film.

"If you haven't figured it out, this is a movie about WEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!"

 In retrospect, maybe I would have enjoyed this movie a lot more had I been under the influence, but I digress. It begins with super-senior and marijuana dealer Mac, (played by Snoop Dogg) making his rounds throughout the campus of N. Hale high school (N. Hale...see what they did there?). First of all, why the filmmakers thought it'd be a good idea to cast damn-near-40-year-old Snoop Dogg as a high-school student in the first place is beyond me; granted, a running joke throughout the film is that he's been enrolled at the school for 15 years, but even so this would mean that he was in 9th grade at 25. Dag Snoop.


"Ya only as old as ya fizzle, muh nizzle." 


But moving on, Mac's character is sadly stereotypical; he's a certified pothead with no foreseeable goals or aspirations, making his living trafficking marijuana to his peers. His clientele includes numerous members of N. Hale's faculty, which consequently has given him the pull to avoid expulsion.

Devin (played by Wiz Khalifa) is your typical nerd. He's nervous, apprehensive, and sexually inexperienced. He's also in the running to be valedictorian of his class. He has a rather attractive, yet controlling girlfriend who is obsessed with both their futures and pretty much tells him what to do. Wiz gives a listless performance throughout pretty much the whole film (even in one particular scene where he motorboats a prostitutes naked breasts), but I'll just assume he was baked the whole film.


He has no idea this movie exists. 

The introduction of Teairra Mari as Ms. Huck, a sexy substitute teacher, finally gives Mac the inspiration to want to graduate high school; in typical Snoop fashion, he tries to put some of his doggy mack mizzle pimpin on the sultry sub, but gets shut down when she tells him she doesn't date students. This rejection raises the question in Mac's mind, "hm...maybe there's more to living than sitting in a classroom where I'm the same age as the teacher." Oh yeah Snoop. Don't graduate high school to get a decent job or, say, avoid being a 40-year-old man hanging with teenagers. Graduate high school so you can get ya some good ole substitute teacher draws. I'm taking notes here, big guy. Anyway, as fate would have it, Mac and Devin are made partners on a chemistry project which, if Devin fails, would cost him his position as valedictorian. This is where the real action of the movie begins.

To make a long story short, Mac gets Devin high, Devin decides that he likes it and, for some inexplicable reason, goes out and tattoos his whole body. One could say that Mac brings out in Devin a sort of assertiveness he didn't have prior (if that's what you want to call losing your virginity in a massage parlor and working up the "courage" to call your girlfriend a b*tch). In the end, they pass their chemistry project and both graduate from N. Hale. Mac hooks up with Ms. Huck, and Devin dumps his girlfriend and goes on to attend Yale.


Where he soon discovers that cocaine is the drug of high society. 

This isn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but it's rife with cliches, stereotypes, and the same stoner jokes I've seen before in much better films (*cough*How High!*cough*). To me, this movie is Snoop and Wiz's attempt to cash in on their popularity; and I can't say that I blame them. If people will pay to see films such as this (and they will), why shouldn't Snoop and Wiz want to cash in on it? In addition to the film's tired premise, a slew of B-List actors make it all the more depressing. Andy Milonakis co-stars as a wheelchair bound nymphomaniac called Knees Down, a character who is as appealing as he sounds.


Pimpin aint easy. 

Mike Epps plays Mr. Armstrong, a professor and one of Mac's customers. With his typical try-too-hard comedic style, Epps manages to deliver more groans than laughs in the movie.

 

"GIRL IF DAT ASS DON'T LOOK LIKE TWO FAT MIDGETS IN A KIDDIE POOL!" 

Now I'm not one to sit and complain about a movie without highlighting its enjoyable moments as well. As bad of a film as this is, there are a few good jokes (like one scene in which Mac, annoyed at Devin's constant pestering to meet up, tells him to meet him later at the corner of "WhyDontcha" and "BlowMe"). I will also say, there is plenty of great new music from both Wiz and Snoop in the movie. This soundtrack will very likely be bumping in my car on many road trips to come (Look up the song "6:30." Nuff said). I fox with the soundtrack HEAVY.

Unfortunately, that is just about all that I can say of this film that is positive. The rest of it is either flat-out bad, or could have been done a lot better. "How High," "Half Baked," "Pineapple Express," THESE are classic stoner movies. "Mac & Devin" looks like something you'd get from a guy selling DVDs in a mall food court. True potheads will likely appreciate this film a lot more than I did, but the sloppy script, lazy acting, and the randomly-appearing screaming CGI blunt make "Mac & Devin" a no-go for me.

2/5.


1 comment: