Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises: The Review


"The Dark Knight Rises" is the epic conclusion to Christopher Nolan's epic "Dark Knight" trilogy; and what a conclusion it is. The film is set years after the events of "The Dark Knight." Gotham is at peace and Bruce Wayne has become a recluse, pretty much letting himself go in the process. 

When he's not fighting crime as Batman, he goes around performing miracles as white Jesus. 

I'm not gonna give away too much of the plot for those who have yet to see it, but maaaaan if I wasn't entertained for the three hours I was in the movie theater. Yes, you read that right. "The Dark Knight Rises" is the "Titanic" of superhero films. However, thanks to great performances by the film's actors and the breathtaking cinematography, I was hardly bored for a second during this movie.

"Rises" marks the introduction of Bane, who is, to put it frankly, an all-around BAMF.

Your computer will freeze in about 7 seconds from sheer terror.

Bane is definitely a more menacing villain than the Joker, who came off to me more as a loony sociopath than anything (Heath Ledger KILLED that role though, do not get me wrong). Bane, on the other hand, is stronger, fiercer, and undoubtedly more intimidating. Tom Hardy's portrayal of Bane is definitely one of the film's strong points.

Aside from the acting (the entire cast brings their A-Game for "Rises), the cinematography makes this movie all the more enthralling. Whether Batman is single-handedly annihilating a troupe of thugs or fleeing the police in the Batmobile, the action in "Rises" is sure to keep you on the edge of  your seat. 

Those who don't care for long movies will likely find themselves bored around the fourth act of "Rises." Also, if you have not seen the previous films (or even if you have), there is a LOT going on in this movie. I'll admit, there are quite a few subplots in "Rises" and I found myself having to pay close attention lest I lost track of what was going on. The average moviegoer will definitely need a second viewing to fully understand everything. But, as I previously stated, I really enjoyed myself and I definitely recommend everyone to go to their local theater and experience this dynamic conclusion to the "Dark Knight" series. 

4/5





No comments:

Post a Comment